Monday, July 30, 2007

20/43

So I just want to warn you up front that this is going to be one of those introspective entries where I talk about my feelings. Feel free to skip this one and wait for the pics from tomorrow's trip to LA.

So we're on day 20 of a 43 day adventure. We've spent four of those days driving, four days in Vegas and 12 days here in San Francisco. It has been interesting to say the least. Many of the days spent in San Francisco have involved hanging out with Dom, Mariam and Eric a little bit of me and BJ just kind of finding our way around. We've eaten at a bunch of different restaurants and I haven't been disappointed yet. When I decided to go thru with this trip I knew i didn't want to spend 6 weeks doing touristy stuff. So we've walked that line between enjoying what the city has to offer and not finding ourselves in the tourist traps.

For this trip I really wanted to spend some time getting to know and understand the city. I wanted to "live like a local" so that I could see if this was really where i wanted to spend a significant amount of time. At this point i think the answer is 'yes.' I like the feel of San Francisco. It really seems to have a "live and let live" vibe. The only "issue" that I have is that there are so few black folks around. I know there's Oakland and I know that there are black people around, but i've spent the majority of my life in situations where I couldn't go a minute without seeing black people, much less a day. It's odd to me that I have started making a mental note of how often I see a face like mine. While that's not the most important thing for me to have, it is important and it's also something that i'm not sure i'm ready to walk away from.

San Francisco also appears to be a very welcoming place. The people are nice and the smiles seem to be genuine. They also have MUCH better customer service than in the DC area. There's also the issue of the weather. Although the apt we're in has issues with dust and probably mold, the air quality in San Francisco is GREAT. I guess it's the cool moist air, but it seems to keep the air VERY clean which means better breathing for me.

One thing that is particualarly interesting to me is the dreams that I've been having since we've been here. The main thing is the fact that I'm remembering my dreams. At home i could go weeks on end without remembering what I've dreamt about. Here, I can remember approximately 5 dreams a week. At any rate, most of my dreams are about people that I haven't seen in YEARS. Like since elementary school. It's a lot of nostalgia in my dreams and I think it's my mind's way of working thru a bit of homesickness. So how am I homesick if i never want to leave this place? I guess I'm homesick because i know i have to go home. As much as i would love to start living a new life here, the reality of it is, I already have a life on the other side of the country that i need to get back to.

I have really had any mindblowing epiphanies since I've been here, but i do know that i would like to move here for a few years. I can't imagine raising kids here, but I wouldn't mind starting them off here. I guess only time will really tell.

No comments: